- This event has passed.
Creative Jam 2017 – Gospel Singing Workshop
March 10 - March 12
Gospel music is fun, joyous and empowering. This workshop provides participants with an opportunity to really explore this genre of singing. From its roots of field songs and spirituals to its development into blues, jazz, R&B and many other varieties of music, Gospel music has been used as a herald of social justice and civil rights. It unifies and connects
people and serves as a powerful platform to let one’s “voice” be heard. Indeed, Gospel music is some of the most inspirational and electrifying music to arise from North America.
Learn its roots, evolution and techniques in a workshop setting, and then put that knowledge to practice in performance where friends and family can experience the joy of Gospel through the voices of you and your classmates! Learning Gospel music is fun – singing it with a group can be life-changing.
What you will learn:
- The history of Gospel music and key developments over time
- Vocal techniques for singing Gospel (style and form)
- Foundations of rhythm and groove
- Improvisational singing, call and response, and 3-part Gospel harmonies
- How singing connects and empowers us
- How to find your voice and communicate from your core
Well-recognized Vancouver Gospel musicians Marcus Mosely, Bill Sample, and Darlene Ketchum, the creative team behind the Marcus Mosely Chorale, will guide participants through this incredible musical journey.